Ecuador’s President Rejects US Interference in Venezuela

lenin moreno aug 2017.jpg

Ecuador’s President Lenin Moreno. | Photo: EFE

Source:  TeleSUR

August 15 2017

“We express our respect for the self-determination of nations and of non-interference,” said Moreno.

Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno called for respect of the principle of non-interference in the sovereign affairs of other states, in relation to threats issued by the United States against Venezuela.

RELATED: Ecuador Demands Respect for Venezuela’s Sovereignty

“We express our respect for the self-determination of nations and of non-interference,” said Moreno Monday during the televised address he gives every week.

Moreno’s words follow a threat made Friday by U.S. President Donald Trump that the country was exploring “many options regarding Venezuela, including a possible military option if necessary.”

Dialogue

For his part, Moreno said that “the sustenance of democracy is dialogue,” reiterating calls made to the opposition by the government of President Nicolas Maduro for dialogue, with the intention of maintaining peace in the country.

Maduro has repeatedly called on the opposition to engage in dialogue with the government in order to reach a peaceful solution to the situation in the country, but some sectors of the opposition have instead insisted on violent street protests.

RELATED: The World Reacts to Trump’s Military Threat Against Venezuela

Deep solidarity

Moreno expressed his deep solidarity with the Venezuelan people, lamenting the deaths of more than 120 people during opposition protests.

“Our deepest wish is that soon (Venezuela) will attain peace and that not one more drop of blood is spilt,” he said in the message.

Above ideology

“Above all rights, above any ideology, life is sacred and untouchable,” he concluded.

Ecuador’s Foreign Ministry had previously criticized Trump’s military threat in Venezuela, and rejected “any threat of a possible interference.”

Trump’s announcement also triggered a criticism in other countries in Latin America, including Colombia, as President Juan Manuel Santos said during a meeting with U.S. Vice President Mike Pence he rejected any military interference in Venezuela or any country in the region.

Venezuela Defends ‘the Poor and Powerless’: Barbados Activists

Source:  TeleSUR

August 2 2017

barbados defend the bolivarian revolution.jpg

A supporter of Venezuela’s Bolivarian Revolution prays as she holds a doll depicting former President Hugo Chavez. | Photo: PSUV

Activists from the Caribbean island denounced U.S. attempts to destabilize the Bolivarian Revolution.

Members of the Friends of Venezuela Solidarity Committee (Barbados) and the Caribbean Movement for Peace and Integration on Wednesday announced support for Venezuela against U.S. intervention.

RELATED:  Ecuador Supports Peaceful Dialogue in Venezuela

“We recognized and support the election of the Venezuela’s National Constituent Assembly(ANC). We also support this Assembly that embraces a wide cross section of Venezuelan People,” activists said in a joint statement.

They also denounced Venezuela’s right-wing opposition, which is calling for the removal of democratically-elected President Nicolas Maduro, and called on Barbados and other Caribbean countries to support the ANC.

“The peace loving people of Barbados and the Caribbean will protect the Bolivarian Revolution that defends the poor and powerless people of the Americas,” the statement said.

The Bolivarian revolution helps the poor in the region

“This Revolution has created the condition for many Caribbean Countries to deal with our problems of energy, health, education, housing and many other social problems that have affected the poor and powerless in our region.”

Despite the fact that over 8 million people voted in the ANC election held last Sunday in support for a peaceful resolution to the crisis in Venezuela, the U.S. government called the election a “sham” and imposed new sanctions.

The governments of Colombia, Spain, Canada, Argentina and Peru joined Washington in denouncing the vote, while Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Russia and others recognized the ANC as a democratic process.

RELATED:  International Community Rejects Intervention in Venezuela

We will continue to support Venezuela

“Our Movements can see that the Government of the United States of America and its fascist friends are trying very hard to create the condition for a Libya-style intervention in Latin America. We also condemn the Governments of the U.S. and Colombia for interfering with the internal politics in Venezuela,” the activists said.

The groups also mentioned that they are prepared to defend the Bolivarian Revolution, fight against fascism and oppose any U.S. intervention in Venezuela.

“We will also continue to support the Government of Venezuela in the fight against the economic war as well as the media war that have created some problems for the Venezuelan People,” they added.

Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs issues statement addressing allegations by the U.S.

Polls: US Is ‘the Greatest Threat to Peace in the World Today’

Source:  Strategic Culture

August 7 2017

biggest threat to world peace.jpgIt has happened again: yet another international poll finds that the US is viewed by peoples around the world to be the biggest threat to world peace.

But, to start, let’s summarize the first-ever poll that had been done on this, back in 2013, which was the only prior poll on this entire issue, and it was the best-performed such poll: «An end-of-the-year WIN/Gallup International survey found that people in 65 countries believe the United States is the greatest threat to world peace», as the N.Y. Post reported on 5 January 2014.

2013 Poll

On 30 December 2013, the BBC had reported of that poll: «This year, first [meaning here, ‘for’] the first time, Win/Gallup agreed to include three questions submitted by listeners to [BBC’s] Radio 4’s Today programme». And, one of those three listener-asked questions was phrased there by the BBC, as having been «Which country is the biggest threat to peace?» The way that WIN/Gallup International itself had actually asked this open-ended question, to 67,806 respondents from 65 countries, was: «Which country do you think is the greatest threat to peace in the world today?»

#1, 24% of respondents, worldwide, volunteered that the US was «the greatest threat». #2 (the second-most-frequently volunteered ‘greatest threat’) was Pakistan, volunteered by 8%. #3 was China, with 6%. #s 4-7 were a four-way tie, at 5% each, for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, and North Korea. #s 8-10 were a three-way tie, at 4% each, for: India, Iraq, and Japan. #11 was Syria, with 3%. #12 was Russia, with 2%. #s 13-20 were a seven-way tie, at 1% each, for: Australia, Germany, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, South Korea, and UK.

The way that W/G itself had phrased this matter, in their highly uninformative press release for their year-end survey (which included but barely mentioned this finding, in it — as though this particular finding in their annual year-end poll, hardly even deserved to be mentioned), was: «The US was the overwhelming choice (24% of respondents) for the country that represents the greatest threat to peace in the world today. This was followed by Pakistan (8%), China (6%), North Korea, Israel and Iran (5%). Respondents in Russia (54%), China (49%) and Bosnia (49%) were the most fearful of the US as a threat». That’s all there was of it — W/G never devoted a press-release to the stunning subject of this particular finding, and they even buried this finding when mentioning it in their year-end press-release.

I had hoped that they would repeat this excellent global survey question every year (so that a trendline could be shown, in the global answers over time), but the question was unfortunately never repeated.

2017 Poll

However, now, on August 1st of 2017, Pew Research Center has issued results of their polling of 30 nations in which they had surveyed, first in 2013, and then again in 2017, posing a less-clear but similar question (vague perhaps because they were fearing a similar type of finding — embarrassing to their own country, the US), in which respondents had been asked «Do you think that the United States’ power and influence is a major threat, a minor threat, or not a threat to (survey country)?» and which also asked this same question but regarding «China,» and then again but regarding «Russia,» as a possible threat instead of «United States». (This wasn’t an open-ended question; only those three nations were named as possible responses.)

On page 3 of their 32-page pdf is shown that the «major threat» category was selected by 35% of respondents worldwide for «US power and influence», 31% worldwide selected that for «Russia’s power and influence,» and also 31% worldwide said it for «China’s power and influence». However, on pages 23 and 24 of the pdf is shown the 30 countries that had been surveyed in this poll, in both 2013 and 2017, and most of these 30 nations were US allies; only Venezuela clearly was not. None of the 30 countries was an ally of either Russia or China (the other two countries offered as possibly being «a major threat»). And, yet, nonetheless, more respondents among the 30 sampled countries saw the US as «a major threat», than saw either Russia or China that way.

People around the world are noticing

Furthermore, the trend, in those 30 countries, throughout that four-year period, was generally in the direction of an increase in fear of the US — increase in fear of the country that had been overwhelmingly cited in 2013 by people in 65 countries in WIN/Gallup’s poll, as constituting, in 2013, «the greatest threat to peace in the world today».

Consequently: though WIN/Gallup never repeated its question, the evidence in this newly released poll, from Pew, clearly suggests that the percentage of people in the 65 nations that WIN/Gallup had polled in 2013 who saw the US as being «the greatest threat to peace in the world today» would be even higher today than it was in 2013, when 24% of respondents worldwide volunteered the US as being the world’s most frightening country.

Perhaps people around the world are noticing that, at least since 2001, the US is wrecking one country after another: Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, and Ukraine. Which is next? Maybe Iran? Maybe Russia? Maybe Venezuela? Who knows?

And this country has just increased its ‘defense’ spending, which already is three times China’s, and nine times higher than Russia’s. Do the owners of America’s military-industrial complex own the US government, and own the US ‘news’media, to permit this rabid military to control the government’s budget, in a ‘democracy’?

US Sanctions Venezuelan Constituent Assembly Members

 

closing rally for constituent assembly.jpg

The closing rally in the Constituent Assembly campaign in Caracas on July 27. Photo: TeleSUR.

9 August 2017
Source:  TeleSUR

The United States continues reprisals against Venezuela for holding elections for the National Constituent Assembly (ANC) on July 30 and swearing in constituent assembly members five days later. 

The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control has authorized new sanctions on six members of Venezuela’s National Constituent Assembly for being “involved in organizing or otherwise supporting the creation” of the ANC. Another two Venezuelan officials were also sanctioned.

RELATEDVenezuela’s Constituent Assembly to Debate Economic Measures

After United States’ sanctions on President Nicolas Maduro July 31, Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin warned, “Anyone who participates in this illegitimate ANC could be exposed to future U.S. sanctions for their role in undermining democratic processes and institutions in Venezuela.

Elections held

The country held elections for the ANC on July 30 and swore in constituent assembly members five days later, but OFAC states, “Today’s designations consist of seven current and former officials of the Venezuelan Government and one individual who has participated in actions or policies that undermine democratic processes or institutions in Venezuela.”

Over eight million people voted in Venezuela’s National Constituent Assembly election — a turnout of over 41 percent, according to electoral authorities — to choose from 6,120 candidates for the 545-member ANC in a vote that has been described as transparent, with international electoral experts and observers calling for respect for the results.

According to OFAC, six of the individuals belong to the Presidential Commission for the ANC or the Constituent Command 200 Zamora.

They are: Francisco Jose Ameliach Orta; Erika del Valle Farias Pena; Carmen Teresa Melendez Rivas; Ramon Dario Vivas Velasco; Hermann Eduardo Escarra Malave and Adan Coromoto Chavez Frias, brother of the late Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

Tania D’Amelio Cardiet, an official of the National Electoral Council and Bladimir Humberto Lugo Armas, Commander of the Special Unit to the Federal Legislative Palace of Venezuela’s Bolivarian National Guard were also listed. OFAC accused Armas of violence against opposition-led National Assembly members.

Munchin added, “President Maduro swore in this illegitimate Constituent Assembly to further entrench his dictatorship, and continues to tighten his grip on the country.”

As with other sanctions imposed against 13 high-level government officials and Maduro, the individual’s assets subject to U.S. jurisdiction are now frozen and people from the U.S. are prohibited from dealing with them.

Related:  Election meddling:US sanctions 13 Venezuela officials, warns against electing Constituent Assembly

170 U.S. medical students graduate from ELAM

August 2, 2017
Source:  Granma

Since the first graduation in 2005, over 28,500 medical students from 103 countries have studied and graduated, completely free of charge, from ELAM

ELAM 1.jpg

The Latin American School of Medicine. Photo: Cubadebate

An initiative launched by Fidel

One hundred and seventy medical students from the U.S. have graduated in Cuba, thanks to the Latin American School of Medicine (ELAM), an initiative launched by Comandante en Jefe Fidel Castro.

Speaking exclusively to the Cuban News Agency (ACN) Zenia Díaz Catalá, director of the ELAM project general secretariat, noted that since the first graduation in 2005, to date, over 28,500 medical students from 103 countries have studied and graduated, completely free of charge, from ELAM.

Dr. David Floyd from the U.S. graduated from the school in 2017, and expressed his gratitude to the Cuban government, people, and teachers and workers affiliated with this noble project, which also stands as an example of how integration among communities from around the world can contribute to creating a more humane world.

An incredible experience

It’s been an incredible experience for me. I’m impressed by the link between theoretical and practical study, which is different from the U.S. system and that of other countries, noted the young doctor.

In Cuba you learn by touching the patient, and solidarity is really important. In my country, students don’t help each other; here both the students and professors support one another and are extremely professional, stated Floyd, an African American man who studied on the island for six years, including pre-med courses.

The young doctor completed his degree at the Salvador Allende Faculty of Havana’s University of Medical Sciences, which saw a total of 52 international students graduate this year – 25 from the United States, according to the institution’s dean, Dr. Suiberto Echavarría, speaking with ACN.

Eternal gratitude for the opportunity

David Floyd senior, father of the recent medical graduate, expressed his joy, pride and eternal gratitude for the opportunity his son has been given to study medicine in Cuba, where the training system is centered on humanist ethics and principles.

Meanwhile, Díaz Catalá noted that the ELAM program currently includes 4,690 students from 112 nations enrolled in 21 of the country’s medical sciences universities, 83 of whom are from the United States.

Congratulations to the Venezuelan people for their lesson in democracy – Cuba