June 8 2016
Ten years after receiving its health registration and approval to be used in the national health system, the medicine Heber¬prot-P has been used to treat over 55,000 Cuban patients nationwide, with positive results
Developed by a team of experts led by Dr. Jorge Berlanga Acosta from the Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (CIGB), Heberprot-P is an injectable medication used to treat advanced foot ulcers in diabetic patients by accelerating the healing process, thus reducing the risk of amputation in over 78% of cases.
The only one of its kind in the world – WIPO Gold Medal Winner
The only one of its kind in the world, the product received the Gold Medal awarded by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and offers a novel therapeutic solution to a condition which previously lacked effective treatments.
Speaking to Granma, Iris Lugo, Heber Biotec S.A. enterprise’s communication specialist, stated that at a global level Heberprot-P has been used to help treat around 250,000 people and is registered in 23 countries, including Russia, Argentina, Venezuela, Turkey, Colombia, Ecuador, Ukraine and Vietnam.
- Cuba Reports 15th Imported Case of Patient with Zika Virus
- Young Caribbean medical students are grateful to Cuba
- World No Tobacco Day: 24 Hours of Abstinence
- Another group of Cuban health professionals arrive in South Africa
- Zika at Start of Pregnancy Causes Possibility for Microcephalia
- Cuba Supports Health as Essential Sustainable Development Goal
- Anti-Flu Vaccination Campaign Begins Across the Country
- Cuban Doctors Work in 100 South African Localities