April 21 2016
Famous American political scientist Zbigniew Brzezinski once again frightened mankind by saying that “the end of America’s global role … would most probably be global chaos”. To avoid this, the supporter of the American hegemony of the United States suggested Global Realignment. That’s the name of his article in the Journal The American Interest. So, what is the American Interest according to Brzezinski?
To briefly summarize the content of Brzezinski’s article it boils down to two theses:
1) The United States is no longer a global imperial power.
2) As was already mentioned above – the probable chaos as a result of the collapse of the US imperial hegemony. In order for the United States to maintain its power, Brzezinski offers several recipes:
- a) Make the main geopolitical rivals of America – Russia and China – work towards US interests. This is supposed to use the crisis in the Middle East as a source of supposed common threats to all three powers.
A coalition that involves Russia and China
“America can only be effective in dealing with the current Middle Eastern violence if it forges a coalition that involves, in varying degrees, also Russia and China”.
“The political prospect for China in the near future is to become America’s principal partner in containing global chaos, of the sort that is spreading outward (including to the northeast) from the Middle East. If it is not contained, it will contaminate Russia’s southern and eastern territories as well as the western portions of China”.
- b) Making the Islamic world work towards US interests. To do this, Brzezinski once again recalls his doctrine of “global democratic awakening”, which justifies US involvement in Arab Springs. The gist of it is simple: use the anti-American forces to strengthen US domination through the various mechanisms of influence and direct infiltration. Brzezinski states that special attention should be focused on the non-Western world’s newly politically aroused masses, and this can be understood only in the context of his theory of global democratic awakening. The emergence of ISIS, and before that the color revolutions of the Muslim Brotherhood, in the Islamic world can be regarded as the practical application of this particular strategy. These forces “surprisingly” create problems for anyone except the United States.
- c) To maintain the US military presence in the Middle East by any means. The text states that this is crucial for the United States, as withdrawal will immediately trigger the collapse of American hegemony:
“A comprehensive US pullout from the Muslim world favored by domestic isolationists, could give rise to new wars (for example, Israel vs. Iran, Saudi Arabia vs. Iran, a major Egyptian intervention in Libya) and would generate an even deeper crisis of confidence in America’s globally stabilizing role. In different but dramatically unpredictable ways, Russia and China could be the geopolitical beneficiaries of such a development even as global order itself becomes the more immediate geopolitical casualty. Last but not least, in such circumstances a divided and fearful Europe would see its current member states searching for patrons and competing with one another in alternative but separate arrangements among the more powerful trio”.
In other words, Brzezinski offers the following strategy, where the Middle East is playing a key role:
- To foment chaos and war in the region, relying on the strength of “global democratic awakening.”
- Declare war on terrorism and to shift the burden onto Russia and China, drawing them into a hopeless conflict in the region.
- Maintain or even increase its military presence under the pretext of preserving stability in the Middle East.
Of course, all of this is masked by the theses of the struggle against terrorism and paying attention to the suffering of Muslims and the inhabitants of the Third World in general, and because the main actors in the crisis in the Middle East chessboard of Eurasia – Russia, China, Iran, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Europe, and Saudi Arabia – are invited to participate in it. The pretext is that they are all interested in resolving the conflict, but in fact it will only lead to a conflict of interest and increase the chaos.
Read full post here: